Residential Security Officer Program
The UC San Diego Police Department partners with Housing, Dining & Hospitality Services to offer the Residential Security Officer Program, dedicated to providing the safest living and learning environment for students and their guests. RSOs are housing department employees who complete a field training program, cultural diversity training and a Laws of Arrest course to ensure that the rights of the community members are upheld.
RSOs are committed to delivering effective, courteous and responsive service to their communities. They attend orientations to provide students with tips and safety information to help them transition to campus life. Officers get to know residents and become involved with the community they serve.
Two officers are assigned to residential areas of each college and work from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. daily. Officers:
- Patrol surrounding parking areas to help ensure the safety of students, staff and guests going to and from their vehicles
- Provide safety escorts
- Secure residents' doors and provide lock-out assistance
- Perform security checks of residential facilities and identify potential safety hazards
- Enforce housing policies
- Support their Residential Life staff during the day when requested or special needs arise
- Give student safety presentations, including presentations for international students to help familiarize them with U.S. culture and laws
- Help the police department train Resident Advisors Liaisons
- Assist with special campus events
For more information, contact email@example.com, (858) 534-6597 or (858) 822-4025.